With appropriate approvals, departments may provide a moving stipend for newly hired faculty and staff. To be eligible the employee must be moving at least 50 miles from their former residence and the Moving Stipend Request Form along with the employee’s offer letter must be attached and submitted for approval through IRIS. Refer to Fiscal Policy FI0450 – Moving Stipend for more information.

It should be noted and communicated to the employee that because the University does not substantiate the employee’s moving expenses with IRS guidelines or require the return of excess funds, this stipend is reported as taxable income on the employee’s W-2.  The employee should review IRS Publication 521 and/or consult with a tax advisor to determine if their moving expenses may be deducted on their tax return.